Friday, September 09, 2005

flipper


flipper
Originally uploaded by bcurry35.
Last weekend was the World Harbor Days in Rotterdam and I made my way down to see what was going on. While I was strolling about, I spied a Dutch submarine tied up to the pier. Not one to miss out on an opportunity to compare a US nuclear sub to another country's diesel electric, I arranged for a tour.

The boat was nice to see and it brought back some old memories (they weren't good or bad, they were just memories). As I was leaving, I saw a crusty old sailor (about my age which is old in the eyes of the junior enlisted on board) that I started talking to. I happened to have a pair of my dolphins (submarine qualification badge) from when I was in the US Navy and asked if he would swap with me. He said that he already had a pair and asked why I wanted a pair of the Dutch ones. I replied that I just wanted to swap as sailors tend to do. This kind man then took his dolphins (called 'flipper' in Dutch - I jest you not!) and gave them to me for mine. I graciously accepted them and went on my way home, smiling like a little kid who just got his top Christmas request.

Many thanks to whomever that salty old sailor was, I appreciate your generosity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Expat Nomad said...

I had to delete the spam that was posted above, I just hate it when people use my blog as a way to advertise THEIR shit...