Thursday, August 17, 2006

home to pedophilia

Ok, so its been a while since I've updated and I should be writing more about my arrival in Peru and all the changes that have been happening since I arrived. I know I should be doing that but honestly, I've not been in the mood to reflect on all that at the moment. Instead, I question the reputation of my chosen profession with the public at large.

I just got done reading that the found the murderer of JonBenet Ramsey - a grade school teacher named John Karr. He fled the US to avoid the investigation and tried to get a job - teaching - in Thailand. Its yet another case of a terrible thing happening to a child by a person who is an educator. Why is it that this profession is always making the headlines with child molesters and murderers topping the charts?

I'm a professional through and through. I wear a tie at least 4 out of 5 days in the week to look like a professional. I am prepared for my job on a daily basis and always ready to help a child learn. I spend extra time with them when the concept isn't completely understood, sometimes meeting with them after school. But because this profession is a great place for pedophiles to find prey, I worry that the parents of my children will assume the worst when I spend extra time with their child.

Many people say that teaching is a noble profession and that I should be proud to be such an influence in the lives of youth. After the incidents involving Mary Kay Letourneau, Debbie Lafave, and so many male pedophiles (so many that I can't even begin to name them all), how am I to feel any honor in my profession? I know that 99.9% of teachers are decent, kind, caring individuals who know to keep their privates private, I'm just tired of the teaching trade getting the reputation as the place where pedophiles can get their fix.

I swear there should be a more severe punishment for teachers who do such things with children. We are entrusted with children and their well-being, maybe if some form of neutering was involved with punishment, people would think more about becoming a pedophile while being a teacher. I'm not one to want more rules or laws in the world but c'mon, what needs to happen to someone to deter them from hurting a child when they are in a position of trust?

No comments: