Sunday, January 10, 2010

not bad, not great

As readers to this blog will note, 2009 was a bad year for posts. Looking back, there are very few things that I wrote about and I believe that it came from a general lack of desire to write anything down. 2009 wasn't a great year (aside from a few points) and I think I didn't want to dwell on some of the uncertainties of the year, hence why there were very few posts. But now that 2010 is here and things are looking better, I've made a verbal commitment to myself to put some more posts up this year. My friends have told me that they like my writing style (I still don't see why) but I do enjoy writing things down and letting those who do venture here read some of the thoughts that go on inside my head.

2009 had some highlights and going in chronological order seems like the best thing to do. First off, my future wife and I met in 2008 so that doesn't count as a lack of good things in 2009. Although our relationship was relatively new (we started dating around Thanksgiving 2008) at the onset of 2009, it doesn't count as a 2009 item. Before I lose you, my beloved reader, I'll move on.

January - ran a half marathon in January in Austin, TX. I must admit, I'm glad I signed up for it and even happier that I completed the distance. It wasn't as difficult as you might think.

February - got a hand-me-down Subaru from my sister, now nicknamed the Lesbaru. Great car and I look forward to passing it on to my kids when the first one turns 16.

March - Pipes' birthday (she was out of town when it happened). I also decide to move in with Piper and make a serious go at our relationship.

April - First job interview for a teaching position here in ABQ. Nothing became of the interview but at least I got the ball rolling.

May - Two more interviews with local schools, one for a science position and one for a social studies position. What to say, I guess that AA degree I got in Social Sciences got me something!

June - Got a second and third interview with an independent school here in ABQ, later that would turn into a full-time science position (Physics and Chemistry) at a wonderful place called the Bosque School. I also worked summer school for little kids at Sandia Prep as well as continuing at REI. Part-time employment is good but I was so happy to get the full-time position at Bosque and return to the classroom.

July - Even though my hours waned significantly at REI, I am not worried. I know that I can survive until the first paycheck at Bosque. Most of July I'm just passing time and looking forward to being back in the classroom to do what I am best at - teaching.

August - I quit REI and start work at Bosque. Along with regular classroom duties, I start working with the volleyball program as an assistant JV coach (volunteer). I had coached before but I knew that it was going to be different in the US. Months later, I truly understood that idea. No regrets though, I love coaching and I love being out there with my girls.

September - Piper begins to wonder where her boyfriend is as I spend a LOT of time on the road with my girls. She understands though and is happy that I am happy. It takes a lot of work but I never complain as doing something you love never seems like work. My life is hectic but the school is turning out to be my Panacea, I love my job.

October - While life is good and I'm am extremely content with my job, I decide to take my personal life to heart and make some changes. Piper is out as my girlfriend and in as my fiancee. I ask her to marry me one Friday night after ABQ's International Balloon Fiesta and she says yes. I am excited to be engaged to this woman and excited to move on to the next part of our relationship. Our wedding date is decided and while she doesn't have a ring that night, I would take care of that small detail at a later time. I feel like a logo on a t-shirt, life is good.

November - The volleyball season comes to a disappointing end but I am proud of our program and what we accomplished. The Varsity girls (whom I helped as an assistant as well) go farther than they ever have before in the playoffs, making it to the top 8. While they are crushed with their loss to Rehoboth, I am happy for their success. The conclusion of the season means Piper gets to see me again and I am glad for the downtime. As much as I love coaching, it does take its toll and I'm grateful the season is past. Of course, I can't wait until next season starts but I'm good with anticipation.

December - My hockey team reaches the championship game and you can read the previous post if you want more details on that. I travel to Tulsa to be introduced to my future in-laws and all goes well. The year is concluded with a New Year's Eve pajama party at our house and we end 2009 in subdued but fun fashion.


With 2010 now here, I'm fulfilling my verbal commitment to myself and posting something to begin the year. My goal is to post at least once a week, so feel free to check back when you can to take a gander at my latest thoughts. Next up, what I plan to do in 2010.

No comments: