Friday, December 17, 2004

leavin' on a jet plane

Well, tis the season. People around the world are packing their bags and getting ready for the travel season to be in full swing, I am one of those travelers. While Christmas time is considered to be the time of snow-covered mountains, quaint villages nestled in said mountains, and sipping egg-nog around a cozy fire, this is not what I have in mind this year.

Last year I was invited to go to the Austrian Alps with my housemates A.& M. and I had a great time. Skiing in the brisk mountain air, a carpeting layer of fresh fluffy stuff to ski on, night-time sledding and drinking of glu-wine (I think that's how you spell it). A winter wonderland indeed. I had a great time with them and I cannot thank them enough for that great experience.

But this year I want sun.

And Mexican food.

So I am joining the masses of holiday travelers that will be packing the airports for the next few weeks. This year the destination is a bit warmer - Los Angeles, baby!!! My sister lives out there and my parents are driving in from the midwest to bask in the warm glow of the Califorian sun, to enjoy large quantities of refried beans and tequila, to replenish our bodies supply of those essential nutrients that can only come when your skin actually sees the sun.

Living in Holland is great, don't get me wrong. I do enjoy living here and all that this country has to offer. But sunshine is a rare commodity here during the winter time, I took a picture the last time I saw the sun and that was dated almost 2 weeks ago. To top that off, I spent the summer in the southwest corner of England where it rains even more than it does here in Holland. Needless to say, my skin tone resembles that of an albino Scandinavian after this extended lack of sun exposure.

So forgive me please if I am not quick to update my blog during the next few weeks. I'll be too busy grunting with pleasure while eating nachos with guacamole.

And maybe even a marguerita to wash it all down.

Happy Holidays to one and all, see ya soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ex-pat nomad. Have a marguarita on me. Get a tan. Soak the rays. Eat Mexican food. Replenish the soul. Your loyal fan. shamash