Tuesday, May 17, 2005

aunt rita is in da house

I remember my parents when I was growing up as people who were carefree and seemed to party every weekend - at least for the two years that we lived in Mexico. As an 11 year old, there is something quite funny about your father cleaning up a spilled drink with a mop and then after making his final sweep with the mop, a rocketing throw of said cleaning device into the backyard. What can I say, maybe it was the alcohol.

Being a child of an expat allowed me to travel the world and it also allowed me to see a different side of people than you normally get a chance to see. A certain kind of person will take matters into their own hands and move out of their home town; its another type of person who will take those matters to another country. Expats are a different breed and it becomes evident when they celebrate their free time.

There was no school here in Holland on Monday (Whit Monday) and Mo (my roommate) and I decided to invite the staff of the school over for a margarita party on Sunday night. We supply the ritas, the guests supply the food.

Sidebar - why is it that the Dutch don't have margarita mix? I was just hoping to pour the tequila in and go but that just isn't the case. On the other hand, I now know how to make a rita from scratch.

Back to the party to celebrate the arrival of 'Aunt Rita'. The party got rolling early (7pm for the spouses that had to work the next day) and what a time to be had. The tequila was flowing, the blenders spinning the lime juice and ice into its frenzy, the din of the crowd as they chatted the sun towards dusk. What fun it was to have that a motley bunch of friends over to celebrate a fictional person that is in no way related to anyone.

I know what you are thinking - c'mon, its just like any other party that anyone would throw. Actually, no it isn't. The other expats out there can back me up on this one. There just is something about partying with other expats that is fun and a bit surreal. Its hard to describe exactly what it is like but the feel of having friends over when no one is within 4000 miles of home is something unique.

Try it sometime. Become an expat and try living in another culture. You may like it, you may not. One thing for sure, it certainly changes the way you feel at a party...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Aunt Rita" .... great idea. May I steal it? I loved this post, because it reflects my current experience as an expat: we make our own fun, which can be the best fun of all.

Last night I hosted a girl's night for the gang; we call ourselves "The Goddess Sisters" (but we don't tell anyone, sort of like the Ya-Ya Sisters.) We dressed in our jammies and drank Cosmmopolitans and watched the entire first season of "Sex and the City" on DVD. I felt homesick. Three of us were Americans- the others were Italian, German, and Australian. One of the many things that brought us together? Our favorite show about being single in Manhatten. It's not unlike being single in THIS city half way around the world.

So, here's to Cosmopolitans and American TV and Margaritas and the things that connect us and things we do to stay sane (or insane) living abroad.

-slim

Expat Nomad said...

Howdy Slim, good to hear from ya! :)

You are more than welcome to 'borrow' the Aunt Rita idea. As you are well aware in education - there is no stealing, only borrowing of ideas.

At least that's what I said earlier this afternoon when I was writing the science curriculum for next year...

And on another note, perhaps we can have a chat with Aunt Rita in Plymouth. She's such a lovely gal.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of inviting Aunt Rita to Plymouth. Let's invite her often, but only after-hours! :-)

-slim

EdWonk said...

I wish that I had been there.

The first seven years of our marriage, we lived in Mexicali. The TeenWonk was born there.

If nothing else, living in a Third World country gives one a healthy appreciation for the United States.

Expat Nomad said...

I totally agree with ya EdWonk. I lived in two 3rd world countries and it makes me totally appreciate what a great country the US is and what we have. It (the US) also makes me sick with how some people take so many things for granted and think that they have "rights" to everything.

You (average person) do not have the right to cable TV, a mobile phone, the latest clothes, and to perform acts of vandalism wherever you desire. Be grateful for what you have and stop thinking you need the latest and greatest to be a normal person.

But I go beyond what I wanted to in this reply. Maybe I'll leave it up to my rant elsewhere on my blog.