Friday, September 01, 2006

where does it hurt?

The answer to that question is simply, "between my ears". Today was my first foray into the medical system of Peru, a journey into the surreal for me.

Last Saturday I strained my elbow while playing softball. It hurt like a son-of-a-gun at the time that I did it and I knew I had to get it checked out by a professional. Its amazing - the three years I was in Holland, I only had to go to the doctor once and that was because I got hit by a car. I'm in Peru for a little over a month and I've already managed to ding myself up. Nice job there sport-o.

The precedent has already been set for how bad my spanish is as my current hairstyle reflects. So I had no problems with asking others for a little help with arranging an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. I was given the number by someone at school and after having no luck with getting an appointment with him, I was referred to another doctor who was able to see me today. At the conclusion of the day, I packed my bag and headed to the Clinica San Borja to meet with my doctor - Dr. Diaz.

I had no idea that the clinic was just part of the adjoining hospital and never even thought that there would be more than one Dr. Diaz. Ummm, yeah - one should never assume that of a last name like Diaz in a latin country. The clinic is seven stories tall and has doctors ranging from neurology to podiatry and every body part in between. When I walked in, I was greeted by a gentleman who I was hoping would steer me towards the elevators and tell me what floor to get off on. Nope, he put me in the line to get medical insurance sorted out (b/c that was his job) and after standing in the insurance line for a few minutes, I was directed to go see someone else since I evidently didn't have all the correct paperwork.

So I made my way through the blue door with the smiley face on it and sat down to talk with Karina. Not the Karina from my previous posting, but the Karina that works at the clinic. Her job was to figure out how I was going to get my insurance to cover the cost of the consultation and being the efficient worker that she was, she also spoke so fast that I could barely understand my own name being read to me.

I must have gone wide-eyed and had a total look of bewilderment on my face because she looked at me and said (in spanish), "Do you understand what I am saying?"

I replied in my best gringo-accented spanish, "No, could you say that again slower and in smaller words. My spanish is bad because I have live here only for one month." Upon hearing this, she repeated everything she had said earlier - only faster. I guess she enjoyed watching my eyes glaze over as she rambled away, it musta been fun to watch the white guy with his master's degree sit there in total befuddlement - I would have probably done the same if I were in her shoes.

We eventually figured out that I had to pay the doctor's fee up front and then be reimbursed by my insurance company. With that in hand, I finally got to make my way towards the elevators that I was hoping to ride 45 minutes earlier. I made my way up to the 7th floor where I was greeted by another gentleman - and yes, I was a bit nervous about talking with him b/c I thought he might send me back downstairs. He pointed me to the right desk and I walked over to check in with the receptionist.

"Hello, may I help you?" Oh thank God!!! Someone who speaks English!!! "Yes, I am here for my appointment, my name is Expat Nomad and I have a 4pm appointment." By the way, it was 5 pm when I said this to her. "Yes Mr. Nomad, Dr. Diaz will see you now."

I walked off the elevator and into his office for a brief consultation that resulted in some guy telling me (in English too!) the same thing that I figured out on the internet - I have tennis elbow. He gave me a prescription to reduce the swelling, told me to take it easy for a couple of weeks and that I should come back in a week to see him. I paid my S/ 170 (170 soles is about $60 USD) and hopped in a cab to head home. I was tired of using my brain for the day and flopped into the back seat and spoke only to the driver when I needed to tell him what street to turn on to get me home.

But I'm better off. I've been told by a licensed professional exactly what is wrong with me and what I can do to fix it. The hard part is going to be staying away from sports for the next couple of weeks until this heals. Grrrr!!!

Oh well, gotta run for now. I need to get some sleep, I've got a softball game in the morning...

No comments: