Wednesday, June 01, 2005

leading by example? can it be done?

Its exam time again here at school. Any long time readers will know that I started this blog about half a school year ago because my first entry was during semester exams. Now I am sitting as the proctor for the Health class final exam, once again doing a marvelous job of making sure that these kids aren't cheating. Or so the adminstration thinks...

Actually, I can trust these kids (in a weird kinda way). Would they cheat? Absolutely. Would they do whatever they could to manipulate me or the system to get their grade higher? No doubt. But could I trust them to do what's right? Easily.

I found this out today with my 8th graders as I gave them their exam in my science class. I put forth 45 questions that tested their knowledge of space science and 1 question that asked their opinion. A dangerous thing to do indeed - does one really want to know the opinion of a 13 year-old? I was curious and so I stuck in the question, "If you had the ability to change one thing in the world, what would it be and why?"

Not one single kid said anything selfish.

Answers ranged from stopping terrorism, to ending poverty, to reducing the pollution of the planet. They are only 13 but they have higher morals than people who are 2 or 3 times their age. They're pissed about the world that we have left them and want to change it for the better. But doesn't every generation say that? I know that I did when I was in high school (I didn't have a brain in middle school so I can say that I thought that). Will they follow through with it? A question I will be posing to them tomorrow.

Recently an article came out (follow link at top) that debunks the idea that hybrid cars are cheaper to run that traditional gasoline powered cars. According to this article, it actually says that it is more expensive to drive the eco-friendly car rather than the gas-guzzling equivalent. The article makes a comparison between the Toyota Prius and its un-green equivalent of the Toyota Camry. In terms of gas mileage to cost, its actually cheaper to drive the Camry. So I will pose the question to them on Thursday if they would drive the Prius over the Camry even though it would be cheaper to drive the Camry. Let's see how they go on that one.

In my own opinion, I know where I fall. I am a teacher and by definition, I am relatively broke. When I lived in the US, I drove a big-ass truck that got an amazing 17 miles to the gallon (hey, it looked cool!). After living in Europe, I have come to appreciate the lack of a need for "bigger is better" and that transportation can be served out with a nice 4-door coupe rather than a 4-door pickup with an 8-foot bed, twin flat screen monitors in the head rests,a thumpingly loud stereo, and a Hemi under the hood. And when I do move back to the US, I will face the dilemma that I am going to pose to my kids on Thursday. What transportation to choose?

I'm going to take the hit in the wallet and buy the hybrid. Its not for me, its because I want to show my kids that there are some grown-ups that do care about what we are leaving behind for them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whenever I find myself feeling more cynical than usual, I hang out with my middle-schoolers.

I love their energy. Their optimism. Their hope. That's a great question: "what would you change about the world?"

As for getting a hybrid: kudos to you for taking the plunge!

I'm noticing a trend in your writing: wheels.

Is there a psychological reason at which we need to be taking a closer look? Are the wheels used for going away or coming home?

Skype session, perhaps? :-)

-slim