Thursday, July 14, 2005

little secrets

As one travels, you come to appreciate that every place has its wonderful little secret. Some restaurant that is great, a hidden alcove with ancient drawings, or a local that makes that place special. Its taken me a while but I have found that little secret that Plymouth has.

Jess.

Jess is the spritely young lady at the YMCA who teaches aerobics, pilates, and gives massages. I was introduced to her by my friends whom also take classes with me and she was a strongly recommended for her massage-skills. I have never had a massage before and with the tension building in my back from hunching over this damn computer so much, I decided to take my friends advice and book an hour with Jess. Simply put - amazing.

I wasn't expecting much and I went in with the idea that I would be oily and slightly more relaxed when I left. I was wrong. Jess did an amazing job on me and I feel like "my aura has been cleansed" (as my hippie friends would say). Its been several hours now since I felt Jess purging the knots from my muscles and I still have this feeling of tranquility. With sleep-time just moments away, I know I will drift off easily as my body is so happy with the decision that my mind made; I'm sure the two of them (mind and body) will be refreshed tomorrow for the end of the 3rd week of school.

Jess is the little jewel in Plymouth's pocket and I hope she stays around for at least another year so that I can allow her to beat the tension out of me again. Heck, I need to get her to do that again before I even leave Plymouth! In any case, if you are ever in Plymouth, Devon, England - stop in and let this wonderful young lady put you in a state of comfort and joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long live the massage! What would we do without our massage therapists? The world is a better place because of them; they are modern-day healers.

Glad to hear that it was such a positive experience for you... god knows, you deserve it!

-Little Miss Lucky

Anonymous said...

Hi, Expat. I'm in Bangkok, and just finished having a 2 hour massage. One of these days, I MUST make a posting about how fantastic it is to have a massage after an all-night flight, cramped in economy class.

Hope you're having a great time on your trip home. Be safe.

- Litte Miss Used-to-Be Lucky