Saturday, February 05, 2005

boss! da sun! da sun!

Herve Villachez, your spirit lives on...

Actually, its because of the large glowing yellow/orange sphere that I see beaming its rays down upon my neighborhood. Ahh, I do miss the sun. While living in the desert I took it for granted. But living in Holland has made me realize just how wonderful it is to see the sun.

I kid you not, the sun disappears from this country from October to March. That's 6 months for those of you counting at home. The rain clouds move in about the same time as our Fall Break and don't leave until Spring Break. Its amazing how accustomed you can become to a gray linoleum sky - flat with no texture.

Interesting note from this time last year. For the first two months of 2004, it was sunny one day a week here in Rotterdam - every Sunday (go figure).

But I am going out to rejoice in the sun although the temp is sitting at a balmy 2 degrees (that's 36 for all you Fahrenheit people!). Time to bust out those sunglasses...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could send you a bit of my sun. Here, there hasn't been a cloud in the sky for months; it's dry season. Hang in there; spring break is soon here!

Signed: Longing-for-the-sound-of-Monsoon-rains