Saturday, February 12, 2005

remembering when

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's m'boat."


In my life before becoming a teacher, I was a sailor. My students often find it quite amazing that I was a submariner considering my height. Actually, at times so did I. I got many a hard lump on my noggin' from forgetting to duck when walking about in Engine Room Lower Level.

This September will be the 10th anniversary of my honorable discharge from the USN. I look back at my time in the Nav and think about what a horrid time I had. I think of all the rules imposed for no reason, I think of the long working hours with little pay, I think of the cramped living quarters, sometimes not even having my own bed (nothing like hot-racking).

But I am grateful for my experience. I am asked if I would do it again and I answer yes. Being in the Nav taught me a lot about who I am and what I was to become. The military and I were not a perfect fit, not even a close fit. But I did learn some valuable lessons and it made me a better person for it.

Nuke MM3/SS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that you: the third one from the end? Oh, the uniforms that you wear! "A man in uniform" makes the women... well, I imagine that you know what uniforms do for the dames. :-)

Expat Nomad said...

No, that is not me. This picture was taken just a couple of years ago as the boat was pulling into Pearl on its way to Guam. The 705 is now based out of Guam; kinda makes me glad that I am no longer attached to her. Living in Guam - I don't think so...

As for the uniform, I did drive the ladies crazy with it. Only problem was that I was only allowed to make a certain lady crazy as she was my fiance. Ahh, the times gone past. :)