Monday, October 17, 2005

back from break

Well, the joys of working in an international school are told in many ways but one of them is the fact that my current school has an October break. Somewhere in the vecinity of 9 weeks after the school year starts (end of the 1st Quarter) we get a week off! How sweet! It is the perfect way to keep teachers fresh and prevents many a 'mental health day' that I know we all take. In the three years that I have been teaching in Holland, I have yet to take a mental health day simply because I don't need it. A week off every 6-9 weeks helps to keep the batteries charged.

What did I do with my time? I went traveling! :) I was fortunate enough to get an invite from the Prague crew whom I met while in Plymouth doing my masters work and didn't pass up on this opportunity. As noted from my last entry, this is my last year and I'm taking advantage of the chances that I get to see more sights of Europe while I still can. I don't know when I'll be back.

And Prague is a wonderful city. Lotsa tourists but you have to expect that when you are visiting "the Paris of Eastern Europe". Amazingly cheap as well! I know that its expensive compared to other places I could go visit but I'm not disappointed with paying 50 euro cents for a bucket o' beer! With nice crystal at excellent prices, I had a wonderful time being there and buying Christmas presents for a little amount of cash. As a frugal teacher, I appreciate how far my paycheck goes when in other countries.

Now I'm back to school and life is back to normal. Last night was the start of our hockey season and it was good to get back out onto the ice. I was greeted with a slapshot to the 'nether regions' and while it tingled, no damage. Thanks Chet, I only wish you had that kinda accuracy when we played other teams...

My volleyball team is in the final stretch of its season and our tournament is coming up in a few weeks; I hope the girls perform up to their potential. The Sharks are always considered to be the push-over team of our league and I'm tired of the way other coaches treat our teams because we are such a small school. We play everyone who wants to play, not just the gifted few. I'm glad that my team (and all the other teams as well) works that way, sports should be fun and for all. Competitiveness is good but not at the expense of excluding others because they don't have the skills it takes to be a top-notch player. Something is to be said for a team that you can't pick an MVP for because they work as a team and not 6 individuals and I have that team. Am I proud of my girls? Absolutely. They are my warriors and I wouldn't trade my team for any other bunch out there. For better of for worse, this is the hand that I have been dealt and I'm glad to have the jokers in this deck of cards - kinda like their coach...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Expat. I am in Amsterdam right now at an internet coffee shop. I have really, really good news that doesn't involve Hot Chilean Wine, but my own publishing career!! Just back from a few days in Prague. We must compare stories. I have rum from my country to bring you as a present.
I leave to go back to Asia on Saturday. Wanna meet? Can I come to R.? -Little Miss Blog