Thursday, October 27, 2005

favorite time of year?

Well, its that time of year again. Last week I was getting ready to head into work when I went out to the shed to get my bike for the morning ritual of riding the 4.7 km to school. As I stepped outside I came to realize that my favorite time of year had arrived (*note sarcasm*) by the fact that it was pouring rain, about 6 degrees, windy, and dark. It hit me that it was officially the beginning of 'crappy' season here in Holland.

What is 'crappy' season? Its the time of year when people wonder why in the heck they live in the Netherlands. Its cold, wet, and gray for the better part of late October through early March. Not to mention that its dark for an un-godly amount of time which compounds the aforementioned weather situation. Its the time of year when you wonder how people who are affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) could ever survive in a climate like this. All in all, it makes you question your sanity as to why you left the desert of southern California where its only cloudy for 30 days a year for a place where it can be rainy and cloudy for months on end. That's 'crappy' season and it appears to have moved into Holland.

Alas, I will survive and perhaps I'll learn something valuable when I go to look for a job in a few months. Maybe I'll pick a place that is a little more warm and sunny (kinda like the Middle East...) but yet not too much of a political hot spot (kinda NOT like the Middle East...). Keep ya updated on if I chose wisely or not.

Such is life for me, the Expat Nomad...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Expat. I can imagine how dreary that must be to ride to school in the pouring rain. Makes you want to hibernate, doesn't it? Makes you want to stay home and nuke about 10 stroopwafels and watch movies like "Birth" and "Against All Odds". ;-)

I have to admit, it was lovely to return home from Holland to my place here in SE Asia where the night was pleasant. I rode home from the airport with the windows down, and the warm air blowing my hair around. The crickets were chirping, and I felt the pores of my skin open up and say, "Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you."