Wednesday, October 05, 2005

checking out

Well, it somewhat hit me today as I was writing to a friend of mine back in California. I was telling her of what was going on in my life here in R'dam and it made me realize that most of what I am doing here I am doing for the last time. I'm already making plans for selling the motorcycle and all the contents of the house, thinking of what country will be next, and so on. I even thought of what it was going to be like on my last day in the Netherlands - leaving R'dam and taking the train to Schipol, boarding the plane and not knowing if I am ever coming back.

I've had a good couple of years here in Holland. I haven't done everything that I wanted to but then again, you never do. As this school year continues, I am making mental notes about what this experience has been all about. I think of all the good and the bad things that have happened to me and all that I have been able to do. The interesting people that I have met and the friends that I will miss once I leave.

But that's my nature - hence the nickname. I've been moving since the age of 5 and while there is a part of me that feels a desire to find a place to call home and settle down, I wonder if that will ever truly happen. Lord help my children if they adopt this lifestyle as well - they'll have an even more difficult time answering the hardest question.* Whatever comes my way with my next job, I will remember Holland fondly as my first grown-up expat job and all that came with this move.

I've come to terms with my decision to leave Holland and currently have no regrets with that decision. I'll be leaving behind some great people and some amazing students but I know that the next place will have the same attractions that this adventure did. When I left California some thought I was leaving for greener pastures. Perhaps those same people will think that I am leaving Holland looking for even greener pastures. Not to worry, with all the rain that this country gets, there aren't greener pastures than here and I have the pictures to prove it!

Hup Holland!

* see my profile

No comments: