Friday, January 20, 2006

remembered friend


Tired Dog
Originally uploaded by rosslau.
I was checking out some pictures on Flickr when I came across a group called "Malamute Power". Since my last dog was a Mal, I decided to take a look. There were a great number of shots that reminded of my of pride and joy, this being one of them. Flipping through the pictures brought to mind many of the stories of my friend Nanook, she was such a character and a huge part of my growth into an adult.

I was working for a tent and awning company in Ohio during the summer as a way to make money for college. The shop I worked in had a reputation for finding homes for lost animals and this dog was running the streets of Kenmore, nearly being hit by several cars throughout the day. My boss brought her in and asked if I wanted to take this dog home and give it a good home. Our family has just put a German Shepard down a few months earlier and she figured we had room.

So I met Nanook while I was out working in the 'yard' - our lot where we stored all of the poles and stakes we use to set up the tents. I was loading up the trucks for the next day when we were introduced. I still had to work but we took an instant shining to each other and she followed me around the yard for the remainder of the afternoon. When the time came to go home for the day, she gleefully jumped into the back of my car and sat down for the ride home. No whimpering or whining, no jumping around, no drooling on the windows.

We put ads in the newspaper to see if she had a family - no answer. We had her checked by a vet - pronounced to be in good health with no worms. We gave her a warm, dry place to sleep and food to fill her gaunt frame and she gave us love - absolute unconditional love.

I didn't bring home Nanook that day as much as a new family member. Throughout the years my girl would be the center of so many aspects of my life and no matter how long I was gone, she always knew who 'her buddy' was. I was sad to lose her in 2003 at the tender age of 14.

Man and Dog - nothing could be finer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm..... er..... there is something finer.

Woman and Cats.

Hands down.

:-)

Expat Nomad said...

You're high on crack woman!

Look at it this way - what does Hollywood make more movies about, Man and Dog or Cat and Woman? (And Catwoman doesn't count!)

Anonymous said...

"What does Hollywood make more movies about?"

Now THERE's good piece of evidence to support a claim: Hollywood movies.

Spoken only like someone who has his stuff stored in the state of California.

;-)