Tuesday, March 15, 2005

military charter school???




As a blogger, I also read what others have to say. There is a blog that I read on a daily basis due to the fact that he updates with such frequency. One of the articles that I read had to do with a charter school (public school) in Florida that has a military feel to it. And there is a waiting list to get in! Who woulda thunk that kids would actually want to go to a military academy but that is just the case in Sarasota, FL. (click on 'military charter school???' for EdWonk's story)

As a former member of the military, I recognize there are many things that the military has to offer. For some, the regimen is just what they need and the order to life is reassuring. For others, being constantly told what to do is an annoyance that they would rather live without. Personally, I was proud to serve my country but I also enjoyed learning how to start making my own decisions.

But the military does have something good to offer to one and all. In a day where disrespect runs rampant in many cultures, its nice to see a young man or woman who has manners and doesn't think that everything is their right to have. Learning respect and discipline through push-ups and whatnot isn't such a bad thing. I can't believe I am saying this but an old adage that my father says is running through my head, "Pain builds character." How true indeed.

My God, I am turning into my father. Help me...

Seriously, I hope that the lessons this school teaches spreads to more public schools. Honor, respect, responsibility for your actions - I can think of worse things to be taught in school.

No comments: