Thursday, March 17, 2005

proud invitation

A former student of mine sent me an invitation to her college graduation and it arrived here yesterday. It didn't seem like that long ago that I remember her walking the campus of YVHS and her graduation speech that she gave since she was the valedictorian.

But alas, four years have passed and this girl has become a woman. I know this because of where the graduation announcement came from - the United States Miitary Academy. That's my girl! A West Point graduate!

I was so proud when the invitation arrived. I showed it to all of my colleagues here at school and puffed my chest out when I spoke of her accomplishments while at the Point. She not only completed the rigorous training that goes into being a cadet but also continued her martial arts training as she became the captain of the fencing team.

N. has accomplished so much in such a short period of time. I am honored that she would invite me to her graduation from such a reknowned and prestigious institution. While I can't make it back to NY for the ceremonies, I'll be keeping that invitation posted high on my bulletin board to show to my current students what you can do if you put your mind to it.

Moments like this make teaching worth more than any paycheck can give...


No comments: